top of page

Change of Status

World United is a Los Angeles County, California International Cultural Exchange Enterprise with over 2,000 members in more than 35 countries worldwide.


A change of status is processed when an International Student, or Cultural Exchange Visitor who is already in the United States wants to extend their stay in order to travel or study 

World United prepares all the documentation for International Students (F-1), Cultural Exchange Visitors (J-1) and Tourist Visa (B-1/B-2) that would like to remain in the United States for a longer period of time to continue their travels, complete College/University enrollment before the I-94 expiration or would like to change their visa status category. 

  • International Student or Cultural Exchange Visitor or Tourist

  • 1-94/Visa has not expired


Contribution for the service $250 USD required to commence the process. 

Important Notice!

World United is unable to do a Change of Status if....

  • You were admitted to the United States to receive graduate medical training unless you receive a special waiver or....


  • You are an exchange visitor and are required to meet the foreign residence requirement unless you receive a waiver. 

World United does not guarantee approval of applications. The decision of approval is determined by the USCIS. But we do guarantee that you will be able to have extended time in the US while the decision is been made

If you meet all the other requirements and would like a Change of Status, contact World United to get more information and get the process started!

Other Important Information to Note

If you came to the U.S on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), you cannot extend or change your status at all. If you came on a B-2 tourist visa, you cannot change to student status (F-1 or M-1) unless you previously got a notation in your visa saying you'd be looking at schools. If you came on a J-1 visa, you might need to comply with a two-year home residency requirement before returning to the United States, or you might need to get a waiver of the home residency requirement. 

Third, applying for an extension will require you to state to the USCIS whether you have received need-based public (government) benefits during your time living in the United States. If you have, you might be found inadmissible as a likely 'public charge'.

bottom of page